Athletic Policies & Procedures
School of Saint Elizabeth Athletic Policies and Procedures
1. The STUDENT comes first in the student athlete. As stated in school policy passing
grades and appropriate classroom behavior is required for participation. After grades are
issued if a student has received a failing grade or “check” for behaves inappropriately he/
she will be put on a two-week period of probation and not allowed to attend practice/
games. If during this two week period the athlete shows improvement than he/she, with
written teacher approval, may return to the sport
2. Attendance will be kept at all practices and games. To be a member of a Saint
Elizabeth athletic team the student must participate in all scheduled practices and games.
This does not include excused practices / games. If you are unable to attend a practice or
a game you must contact your coach 24 hours in advance.
3. St. Elizabeth practice and games take priority over other activities. If a student chooses
to participate in another activity other than a scheduled sports practice, their choice will
result in reduced playing time on the St. Elizabeth team. For those players who have
attended practice, and have demonstrated effort and maturity, the coach will make every
effort to play those players over the course of the season.
4. The goal of every St. Elizabeth athletic team is the individual development of the
student athlete. Life lessons such as commitment to a team, the value of good
sportsmanship, dealing with adversity, discipline and improvement of self through
learning the fundamentals are taught and developed both at home and on the court/field
during practice and games.
5. “Win at all costs” is not part of the St. Elizabeth athletic program. At the beginning of
each game we expect our teams to play to win. We will play to win but substitute as the
course of the game dictates. Our emphasis is Team, Team, Team and the individual
development of the student athlete. Each win and loss is an opportunity to discuss how
the game was played, what was learned, how the players feel they interacted and changes
or strategies that need to be made for future games.
6. For grades 3 & 4 students will participate in instructional games with schools with
similar teams. For grades 5 -8 all students will be participating in the Morris County
Catholic Basketball League. The rules of the league for grades 5 & 6 require all athletes
receive an equal amount of playing time for the first three quarters and the coach
determines play – time for the fourth quarter. For grades 7 & 8, the coach determines play
– time; we play to win but use the team. Equal play time does not apply to a team
participating in an Independent Tournament. Play – time will be determined by the coach
when participating in an Independent Tournament. The focus of all programs will be
personal improvement through practice and play.
7. Teamwork, fair play and cooperation is emphasized at all practices and games. It
involves attitude, fairness and a willingness to cooperate to have a successful experience
for all. If a coach feels a player is acting in an unacceptable manner towards his
teammates or coaches, that player will be given one warning and if the behavior
continues the coach will ask them to leave practice or sit out a game. Team building and
team social activities will be encouraged.
8. Players are responsible for their uniforms and any other school equipment associated
with the sport. If uniforms are not returned at the end of the season, the player will have
to pay to replace them.
9. Students must be supervised by an adult at all times. Students are to remain in the hall
until their designated practice time. They may enter the gym when their coach arrives.
There must be a parental volunteer, coach or teacher present when students are practicing.
10. Proper attire is required for all practices and games. Jewelry is prohibited.
11. All required forms and fee are required by the first week of school. All forms can be
downloaded from the School of St. Elizabeth website.
12. Game equipment is provided; students should not bring equipment.
13. Only coaches, teachers or parents are allowed in the equipment room. Students are
not allowed to go in the equipment room.
14. Students may have water bottles at practice / games. No food or other drink is
allowed in the gym.
15. Parents will be required to volunteer for the Basketball Program and other sports as
needed. Volunteer assignments for parents at games and meets are necessary for your
child to participate in athletics.
A copy of this from may be printed and is to be kept by the athlete.
Please make sure the registration
form is signed by the athlete.